Saturday, November 3, 2007

What I learned about being a writer

It took me long time to learn this.

It’s simple.

Sadly, I keep forgetting it.

  1. There's no such thing as becoming a writer. There’s only being a writer and not being a writer. In a given moment you either are a writer or you are not.
  2. Being a writer is easy. All you have to do is sit down to write. Not sit down and write. Just sit down to write. You don't have to write anything. That's called “doing writing.” And that’s different from being a writer.

Now if you do this one thing (sit down to write) often enough you will write.

And if you write enough you might even get good.

And if you get good or you get lucky, and if you want to, you might even get published. Or you can self-publish in a Blog.

But that’s not the point.

The point is that if you want to write, you’ve got to first be a writer. And if you want to be a writer you just have to sit. Just sit.

Sometimes sitting down is the hardest thing you (I) can do. Stupid, but sometimes it is.

And sometimes, like today, you (I) sit down and you (I) get an idea, and the words just flow off the ends of your (my) fingers and appear on the screen and you are (I am) writing.

If you’re being a writer, there’s nothing better than seeing those words appear.

No comments: